I gave up feed readers about the time that Google Reader shutdown. And, if I’m being honest, I wasn’t really trying to keep up with “everything” for quite a while before that. I’m not going to be the person who says, “twitter is my feed reader” because that isn’t true either. There are a lot of places that I discover stories that are interesting. These days it probably happens through Slack communities more than anything. Ultimately, what shifted is that there are less places that I want to see everything someone writes. And I am more willing to just see the pieces that are interesting. That said, I have found that one of the most consistent sources of, “I want to see everything” is fed through newsletters. Specifically, TinyLetters.
I talk about this so often, I figured it was time to share a list of the TinyLetters that I almost always open.
- The Bureau of Small Observation // Descriptions of people and places, sent every weekday. A little bit like Mass Observation, but shorter and less ambitious.
- Clear Signals // An illustrated story told one item at a time. Starting in January 2015, a new item will appear in your inventory every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. There may be more questions than answers.
- (De)Extinction Club // A newsletter for dark extropians, extinction aesthetes and anyone interested in the sixth mass extinction, and the ethics and efforts of the resurrection of past species. Totally not an asteroid death cult.
- Encyberpedia // A personal history of growing up wired. Expect weekly-ish installments.
- everything changes // A newsletter with a different format, theme, and frequency every week.
- Just Another Crowd // I send out links, commentary, occasional rants. Sometimes daily, sometimes weekly. Whenever things pile up or I have something to say. Or get bored. Or whatever.
- Katexic Clippings // A thrice-weekly newsletter with words worth a bit of your precious time: Short poems, prose poetry, flash fiction, prose excerpts, interview snippets, photographs, art, visual poetry. Occasional links to exceptional digital stories and media…good stuff I come across as part of my daily meandering.
- Links I would gchat you if we were friends // “Links” rounds up the very best of the day’s Internet chatter for your late-afternoon perusal – with jokes! Some good.
- Pome // A short poem in your inbox, every day. This could work.
- Other Valleys // A short list of creative/technology ideas, sent weekly, that are by and large NOT from the US/UK/EU.
- Today in Tabs // Your daily digest of the worst (and occasionally best) in tabs. Now in #TabsSeasonTwo Remember: close that tab!
- 5IT // Every weekday, Alexis Madrigal delivers five tidbits from the past and future. Topics will include wearable computers, drones, biohacking, geoengineering, rockets, digital mapping, coercive feedback loops, autonomous everything, representing the Internet in art, synthetic biology, machine logic, weapons, artificial life, the future of work, corporate surveillance, and more.
This is a living document. I am updating it as new things show up, and as other things fall out of my attention.
If I am missing a tinyletter that you love, let me know?